Aboriginal Cultural Awareness
Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Workshop
– TERPIMA YAKA (to listen, to learn)
Providing participants with the foundations required to work more effectively with Aboriginal people.
This 1-day course is designed to build on people’s skills in providing services to Aboriginal people in ways that respect and support the diversity of Aboriginal cultures, and value the strengths in Aboriginal individuals, families and communities.
Course topics include:
- Aboriginal cultures, nations & protocols, family & kinship systems
- Discrimination, myths & stereotypes
- The impact of colonisation and its effect on contemporary Aboriginal peoples
- Current statistics regarding Aboriginal people
- Aboriginal identity and how to improve communication
This interactive workshop is conducted in a culturally safe and non-judgemental environment where participants are encouraged to question freely and with respect.
Organisations may wish to include an ‘Awkward Questions’ session where staff can ask anonymous questions if required. The workshop includes historically factual material and has been designed to assist people in identifying past policies and practices and their impact on contemporary Aboriginal people.
The course is founded on encouraging workers develop their own solutions around more effective service delivery, as well as sound partnership building.